MICRO-AIR DATA PROBE
High-performance, compact probe for air velocity and state
This air data probe is one of the smallest and most functional currently available, providing high-fidelity measurement for a range of applications- including use on passenger aircraft, for which the system has already been certified.
This system provides a completely self-contained measurement solution for air data requirements, including three components of velocity, static pressure, pressure altitude, relative humidity and temperature. An integrated IMU provides positional information for alignment, as well as vibration warning. The system communicates using a robust RS-485 protocol, ensuring data confidence in even the noisiest environments.
Air data measurement
Wind tunnel testing
With probe sting diameters down to 1.8 mm and sensor packages down to 15 mm diameter located downstream, the integrated multi-hole probe system provides a compact, robust and minimally intrusive probe system at a fraction of the cost of LDV or CTA systems. The networked RS-485 architecture is particularly useful for rake or other simultaneous multipoint measurements.
With a variety of probe and sensor package geometries available, this compact air data system provides high-fidelity measurements in a form easily adapted for integration into small- and medium-scale UAVs, and would allow for more precise flight control than conventional pitot-static arrangements.
This self-contained system may be fitted with a probe having extra sensitivity to yaw angles, providing high-quality track wind information with a very small required enclosed volume requirement and mass. Incorporating heaters, the probe may equally be used in wet and heavy rain conditions with minimal additional uncertainty.
Capabilities and performance
The system uses direct-to-digital pressure transducers with built-in temperature compensation, operating at 1 kHz in sample-and-hold mode. 2W sting heaters and birdstrike armour are avaialble as options, enabling the system to be operated on aircraft.
The probes communicate using a robust RS-485 network protocol, ensuring high data quality even in high-EMI environments and allowing up to 16 probes to be chained together; an RS-485 – to – USB converter, with user panel interface, is also included with every system.
- Physical dimensions: sensor package approx. 25 mm dia x 60 mm or 108 x 27 x 10 mm
- I/O: Data streaming to PC via USB2 or RS232, external trigger and clock ports for system synchronization
- Power: DC input 5- 24 VDC, current depends on heaters installed
- Digital resolution: up to 24 bit, 1 kHz (equivalent) data acquisition
- Range: from 160 Pa full-scale; wide range of scales available
- Temperature range: temperature compensation from -40° to +70° C; external temperatures as low as -80° C possible with heaters installed
- Total uncertainty: ~0.5% full-scale
- Absolute pressure sensor specification: 300-1100 Pa FS, +/- 0.12 Pa
- Relative humidity sensor specification: 0% – 100% RH, +/- 1%
- IMU specification: 6-axis, range/accuracy 2g/0.061 mg; 245 dps/8.75 mdps
- System requirements: Win7 or later, minimum 3GHz & 4Gb RAM recommended
Additional custom modifications available
- Variety of sensor package geometries and probe geometries available
- Available with or without heaters
- Battery power and wireless telemetry module for remote operation
- Integrated power supply and streaming serial output available for stand-alone operation
- Custom enclosure design service available
- Available with either an axial lead or case-mounted MIL-spec connector
- Custom software and driver development service available
- Calibration service available
- Extended product support and warranty available
- 3D-printed stainless steel probesDavid Birch2022-04-08T12:21:00+01:00
3D-printed stainless steel probes
- MUS-Series miniature digital seven-hole probeDavid Birch2023-01-30T08:20:52+00:00
MUS-Series miniature digital seven-hole probe
- MUS-Series 64-Channel miniature pressure scannerDavid Birch2023-01-30T08:20:22+00:00
MUS-Series 64-Channel miniature pressure scanner
- MUS-Series 8-Channel miniature pressure scannerDavid Birch2023-01-30T08:21:29+00:00
MUS-Series 8-Channel miniature pressure scanner
- Eight-channel nano-CTA arrayDavid Birch2023-01-30T08:21:58+00:00
Eight-channel nano-CTA array
- Micro-CTA systemDavid Birch2023-02-09T07:42:26+00:00
- Pressure scannerDavid Birch2023-02-28T07:16:16+00:00
- Digital seven-hole probe systemDavid Birch2023-01-30T08:23:08+00:00
Digital seven-hole probe system
- Pressure connectorDavid Birch2021-08-17T08:36:15+01:00
- Precision Pitot-Static Probe DriverDavid Birch2023-01-30T08:23:52+00:00
Precision Pitot-Static Probe Driver